The past century represented unparalleled economic growth and increased wealth globally. Today, it becomes more clear at what Environmental, Social, and Governmental costs this has been achieved. Therefore, Atlantic Labs has adopted an ESG policy to mitigate the impact from sustainability risks across the whole organization.
Sustainability risks are environmental, social or governance events or conditions, the occurrence of which could have an actual or potential material adverse effect on the value of the investment.
Atlantic Labs’ commitment to INVEST responsibly.
As part of the investment process, Atlantic Labs commits to:
... encourage ESG governance within portfolio companies: Atlantic Labs encourages all portfolio companies to name an ESG representative and to implement an ESG policy.
... embed ESG criteria in the investment process:
- For each investment vertical Atlantic Labs identified potential sustainability risks and drafted a questionnaire which is planned to be integrated in the due diligence process. The questionnaire will be filled out by the founders and reviewed by the Atlantic Labs investment team. Non-compliance might lead to the decision not to invest in a company.
- Atlantic Labs plans to implement a sustainability clause in its investment documentation which requests the portfolio companies to implement carbon reducing measures.
- Atlantic Labs is particularly looking for mission driven founders and companies having a substantial, positive impact on the world. Contrarily, Atlantic Labs does not consider companies that are directly or indirectly involved with the production or trade of alcohol, tobacco, weapons, ammunition, gambling or any illegal activities.
Atlantic Labs expects higher commitment from well-funded companies where Atlantic Labs sits on the board or possess significant ownership.
Atlantic Labs' commitment to OPERATE responsibly.
The finance and controlling team is responsible for overseeing Atlantic Labs’ responsible investment and ESG management activities. The investment team assists in the execution of the ESG policy during the investment process.
Moreover, Atlantic Labs implemented collaborations and procedures to mitigate ESG risk internally:
- Energy consumption is 100% from renewable energy
- CO2-emissions are 100% compensated
- Member of “Leaders for Climate Action”
- Home office always possible
- Fair salaries
- Subsidized/free collaborations: Kindergarten, Jobrad/Dance (eBike), Beat81 (sports), nilo.health (mental health)
- Free vegetables, fruits and drinks
- Free corona tests and flu vaccinations
- Yearly financial audits
- LP Advisory Board
- Investment Committee
The here disclosed information from Atlantic Labs’ ESG policy is aimed to be compliant with the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation (EU 2019/2088) (“SFDR“). Given that the SFDR and the accompanying Regulatory Technical Standards (“RTS“) are new legislative acts, there is very little or no practical experience or practice with regard to applying their respective provisions. Atlantic Labs commits to regularly review and update its ESG policy if more guidance becomes available.
Atlantic Labs has no sustainable investment objective within the meaning of Art. 9 SFDR.